How to get involved
National Book Week is a very successful reading campaign run by the South African Book Development Council (SABDC) in partnership with the Department Of Arts and Culture. National Book Week was initiated in 2010. It aims to mitigate the findings of a 2006 study, repeated in 2016. The studies, when compared, showed a disturbing increase in the number of households in South Africa that do not own a single leisure reading book. Fifty-one per cent in 2006 to Fifty-eight per cent in 2016. Only four percent of the population are committed readers. This number has not changed over the decade.
However, the findings also show that there are nonetheless 1.1 million new readers in 2016 compared to 2006 and that there are 3.8 million potential book readers. The SABDC would like to target these potential readers and get them reading.
Join us this National Book Week (NBW) as we once again travel through the country to spread the magic of books. Join FUNDA BALA make South Africa a reading nation by bringing more books to households across our country. Communities, churches, social groups, schools, libraries and anyone with an interest in promoting reading, are encouraged to participate in the NBW campaign to raise awareness around the enjoyment and value of reading books.
How libraries can get involved:
- Get your #READABOOK poster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Join the celebration of the NBW event in your province.
- Encourage the community and library users to take part in the #READABOOK campaign through sharing books and encouraging friends to join the library.
- Bring out interesting book displays to attract the community. Older readers might enjoy self-help, cooking, gardening books.
- Younger readers some teen novels. Make colourful and bright displays in the foyer.
- Have story hour with storytelling and reading for young and old.
- Invite community groups, church and youth groups to visit the library through direct invitations.
- Invite school groups for readings and activities in order to promote the #READABOOK campaign.
- Create your own activities at the library for NBW to promote the #READABOOK campaign, and inform the NBW team.
- Spread the news of NBW and the #READABOOK campaign on social media by means of using the #hashtag #READABOOK & #BUYABOOK.
How education departments and school districts can get involved:
- Encourage the schools in your district to take part and get involved in the #READABOOK campaign.
- Learners can dress up as their favourite book character.
- Set time aside to have fun with books through animated storytelling and book reading.
- Invite elders in the community to tell stories.
- Create your own activities for NBW and share with other schools around you.
- Upload pictures of your activities to the NBW social media pages.
- Spread the news of NBW and the #READABOOK campaign on social media by means of using the #hashtag #READ_A_BOOK.
- Visit and join your local library.
How universities can get involved:
- Encourage the residences and communities on campus to take part and get involved in the #BUYABOOK & #READ_A_BOOK campaigns.
- Organise visits to schools in your community for storytelling and reading to children.
- Donate books from the #BUYABOOK campaign and donate to Early Childhood Development (ECD) centres.
- Organise motivational talks and career guidance with youth at high schools.
- Organise fundraisers within department to sponsor books or money for the #BUYABOOK campaign.
- Promote the #BUY_A_BOOK campaign on campus via readings, discussions or activities.
- Challenge other tertiary institutions to buy more books than your institution.
- Create your own activities on campus for NBW to promote the #BUYABOOK campaign, and upload to NBW social media pages.
- Spread the news of NBW and the #BUYABOOK campaign on social media by means of using the #hashtag #READ_A_BOOK & #BUY_A_BOOK.
How schools can get involved:
- Identify underprivileged schools that you can donate books from the #BUYABOOK (http://sabookcouncil.co.za/national-book-week/buy_a_book/) campaign to. Imagine giving the magic of a book to a child. Tell us who they are.
- Encourage teachers, learners, parents to visit retailers to #BUYABOOK and donate to NBW projects.
- Organise fundraisers to sponsor books or money for the #BUYABOOK campaign.
- Promote the #BUYABOOK campaign in your school via readings, discussions or activities.
- Upload your NBW and #BUYABOOK activities to NBW social media.
- Encourage learners to promote NBW and the #BUYABOOK campaign on social media by means of using the #hashtag #READABOOK & #BUYABOOK.
How businesses, big and small, can get involved:
- Create awareness about NBW and the #BUYABOOK campaign at your company.
- Donate or sponsor funds for NBW to buy books for the #BUYABOOK Campaign.
- Organise visits to schools, Early Childood Development (ECD) centres. to donate books for storytelling and reading books.
- Buy books in bulk through the #BUYABOOK campaign.
- Encourage staff to support #BUYABOOK – it’s only R20 per book.
- Upload NBW and #BUYABOOK activities to NBW social media.
- Challenge other companies to buy more books than your company.