National Book Week (NBW) is a nationwide reading promotion campaign run by the South African Book Development Council (SABDC) every September. National Book Week garners great media support and the SABDC uses this platform to promote the importance of reading and book buying in South Africa. Book buyers are encouraged to #BUYABOOK and donate it towards NBW supported key initiatives.
The key motivator for the #BUYABOOK strategy under the NBW campaign is the dearth of leisure reading resources in the majority of South African homes. We believe that as a united book publishing industry, we can bring relevant books into the homes of South Africans and make this a reading nation.
Bargain Books, Exclusive Books and Takealot have once again committed to sell selected titles at R20 each.
How It Works
- Publishers are requested to make a selection of titles available at R10 to participating booksellers. Participating retailers are Bargain Books, Exclusive Books and Takealot.
- The SABDC will select titles from the lists provided by publishers.
- The booksellers in turn will sell the selected titles at R20 to the public.
- The books will be donated to reading promotion initiatives that the SABDC works with during NBW.
- There will be a formal handover ceremony so that partners, supporters and book buyers can see where their donation went.
National Book Week Marketing
- The campaign will make promotional material available to publishers and booksellers to promote #BUYABOOK.
- Marketing collateral includes posters, bookmarks, book bins, electronic banners.
- There will be book bins in store for the donations.
- All NBW and SABF platforms will be used to promote the campaign.
Please contact the SABDC at 021-914-8626 or email@example.com should you need further information.